“Drop and write a thousand words… and repeat!”
The MGA Virtual Thesis Bootcamp is a free, four-day intensive writing workshop for HDR candidates (PhD and Masters by Research) who want to take their thesis to a whole new level.
The MGA will provide a supportive environment and guidance for participants to maintain the focus required for getting a HUGE amount of writing done in a short amount of time.
When is it happening?
Dates: Monday, 30 October to Thursday, 2 November 2023
Time: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
What to expect
The MGA Thesis Bootcamp for 2023 will run virtually from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm daily. Students can request a space on Clayton or Caulfield campus for the duration of the program in their application. The MGA will endeavour to accommodate your request and you will be notified of the outcome upon your confirmation to be part of this program.
During the Thesis Bootcamp, students can expect to write for 3.5 to 4 hours each day. This excludes breaks, activities and consultations.
A maximum of 40 students will be selected for this Thesis Bootcamp. Participants are required to meet the eligibility criteria and commit to attending all four days. Please note that we prioritise applications from first-time participants and late-stage or writing-up stage attendees.
What does the program include?
As well as regular, facilitated writing time, the program includes:
- One-to-one consultations with a Student Academic Success Advisor to help you work through any writing challenges.
- An opportunity to hear from a former PhD student and ex-thesis bootcamp participant who will provide you with some tips on what to do after the bootcamp and how to make a plan for thesis submission.
- Dedicated time for you to get to know the other participants.
- Regular stretching, yoga and mindfulness sessions to keep you focused and motivated.
- Daily prizes for those who write the most words at the end of each day.
- A $40 Uber or Coles Food Voucher to buy snacks or lunch to keep you going throughout the program.
Example Daily Schedule
- 9:10 am – Morning yoga, gentle stretching and mindfulness
- 9.30 am – Welcome, introductions & strategies on how to make the most of your day.
- 9:45 am – Writing session 1 (2 hours of writing).
- 11:45 am – Lunch and ice breaker.
- 12:30 pm – Writing session 2 (2 hours of writing) / 1:1 session with a Student Academic Success Advisor.
- 2:30 pm – Feedback and set goals for the next day.
- 3:00 pm – Session ends.
All participants are required to meet the eligibility criteria and commit to the full four-day program. Applications are open to all Monash University HDR candidates who:
- Have successfully completed one or more of their candidature milestones (at least Confirmation of Candidature).
- Can identify clear goals for participation in the Thesis Bootcamp. For example, identify the particular chapter(s) of your thesis that you will work on as part of your goal.
- Are able to clearly identify how you would benefit from an intensive week of writing for your thesis.
- Are able to commit to and fully participate in the Bootcamp for all four days.
Applications close: Friday, 6 October 2023
Successful participants will be notified by Tuesday, 17 October 2023
When attending an MGA event, remember that:
- Face masks are strongly recommended indoors and outdoors where physical distancing can’t be maintained.
- MGA will have masks available for attendees who request them.
- Physical distancing (1.5 metres) should be observed where possible.
- Practising good hand and basic hygiene can help to slow the spread of COVID-19 and other illnesses.
- If you have tested positive for COVID-19 within the last five days or are displaying symptoms associated with COVID-19, we ask that you do not attend the event. Remember to follow all Victorian State Government guidelines and report your positive result on the University’s COVID-19 reporting form.