Emergency Accommodation Advice

Are you struggling to pay the rent or having issues with your current accommodation? Read on to find out more about your options at Monash University.

When it comes to housing and accommodation, there are two key services at Monash that can help avert a crisis or support you in emergencies:

Monash Connect is a central student service that can receive and act upon emergency accommodation requests. 

Monash Residential Services look after all aspects of student accommodation at Monash University. Their team includes committed advocates who can provide you with advice relating to renting laws and support you at VCAT with rental-related matters. 

How can these services help me if I am struggling with accommodation?

  • Monash Connect can book you into approved temporary emergency accommodation and pay for the cost.
  • If you are homeless and on campus, you can approach a security guard or contact the security office, who also have the power to bring you into accommodation on campus.
  • Monash Residential Services can help you look for long-term accommodation options that suit you, and they can support you in negotiations and with disputes. They can also advise you on how to rent a place during lockdown, as well as how to negotiate your rental agreement.

Other relevant support:

  • The MGA offers student advocacy and support services and some welfare assistance (such as free grocery vouchers) to help you manage your study and financial pressures.
  • The Victorian government offers rent relief grants that students can apply for if they are having trouble paying rent. Monash Residential Services can help students prepare the applications. 
  • Other rent support grants also exist through organisations such as Study Melbourne, a resource for international students in Melbourne.
  • Monash-approved temporary accommodation providers (many of which offer discounts for Monash students) can be found at this Monash University link.

Are you struggling with accommodation and need some advice on what to do next?

The MGA advocacy and academic support team is here to offer advice to graduate students with any issue large or small.

You can contact the MGA’s advocacy team with one simple online form.